Director of Development
The Contemporary Arts Center (CAC) seeks a permanent, full-time, benefits-eligible Director of Development, reporting to the Director and CEO, located at 900 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA. The CAC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to ethnicity, gender identity, age, or sexual orientation.
The Contemporary Arts Center (CAC) is a multidisciplinary arts center dedicated to the presentation, production, and promotion of the art of our time. It expresses its mission by organizing world class curated exhibitions, performances, and public programs; educating and enlarging audiences for the arts; and encouraging collaboration among diverse stakeholders composed of artists, institutions, communities, and supporters throughout the world.
The CAC was formed in 1976 by a passionate group of artists and supporters when the movement to tear down the aesthetic barriers between the visual and performing arts was active nationwide. Housed in an historic four-story, 80,000 square foot building with two adjacent 10,000 square foot warehouses, the CAC boasts a 210 seat flexible theater as well as 12,500 square feet of formal exhibition spaces. It annually attracts more than 50,000 people to its programs.
The Development Department is responsible for managing the contributed revenue of the CAC through public and private grants, corporate sponsorships, individual donations, and the CAC's membership and special event programs.
- Design development strategy and oversee ongoing development efforts for the CAC working with the senior management team to identify funds needed funding targets, and funding approaches.
- Designs and implements an annual giving campaign in the form of an annual development plan that includes strategies and goals for annual giving.
- Support and partner with the Director and CEO and Board of Trustees on all major fundraising initiatives and staff/oversee a Development Committee.
- Oversee development and execution of all fundraising proposals, including corporate sponsorship and local and national grants and grant compliance/reporting.
- Oversee special event fundraising.
- Oversee and support membership efforts with focus on outreach and growth initiatives, with special emphasis on relationship-building and donor management of Silver Circle, President’s Council and Exhibition Fund level members.
- Devise and implement special fundraising projects as needed ie. capital campaign, programmatic campaigns, etc.
- Oversee all donor information using the Altru database system, provide statistical analysis to board and senior leaders as needed, and support staff responsible for daily Altru functions and gift processing.
- Oversee the hiring, training, and mentoring of the development team, as well as additional staff, interns or contractors related to special projects.
- Reports to the Director and CEO.
- Supervises full-time Institutional Giving Manager and full-time Development Manager.
- Co-manages full-time Patron Services/Membership Manager and Special Events Manager.
- Five or more years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization;
- Proven success leading and managing fundraising at the organizational level;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships;
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives;
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the organization;
- High energy and passion for the Contemporary Arts Center's mission is essential;
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail;
- Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends is essential.
- Bachelor's degree required.
How to apply:
Application will only be accepted via firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested candidates should submit (1) a resume and (2) a cover letter with salary requirements. Please no phone calls.