Calling all high school students interested in studying the arts in college!
Whether you're finding yourself overwhelmed by the number of art programs out there, stuck in building your visual arts portfolio, having trouble finding an audition monologue, or just have no clue how to apply for financial aid—Arts MAP is here to help!
Students may register for any or all of the following four sessions. Registration for all participants is FREE!
Session 1: The College Admissions Process
A general overview of the College Admissions Process, including: choosing a major, scholarships & financial aid, how to access college resources, choosing a career, internships & work study, and how to apply to colleges!
Session 2: Art Career Spotlights
Visiting guest artists will talk about how they got started in their careers in the arts! Each artist will give a brief presentation about their work and then leave it open to your questions.
Select one of the following sessions to attend (1–1:30pm)
- Game Design & Animation: Learn about video game & Animation with Gameloft designer, Sam Combs
- Technical Theater: Learn about lighting design, set design, and set construction for the theater with CAC Technical Director, Jebney Lewis
- Writing: Learn about journalism, fiction-writing, and publishing with local author, Laurence Ross
- Filmmaking: Learn about filmmaking and production with Jason Foster of Foster Bear Films
Select one of the following sessions to attend (1:30–2pm)
- Graphic Design: Learn about marketing and graphic design with Zehno Senior Designer, Mary Louise Killen
- Fashion Design: Learn about fashion styling, design, and marketing with Andi Eaton of the Southern Coalition for Fashion & Design
- Arts Education: Learn about arts education and integration with KIDsmART Instructional Coach, Aminisha Ferdinand
- Photography: Learn about the world of professional photography with Craig Mulcahy, whose recent clients include Forbes, Fox, and New Orleans Magazine
Session 3: Applying to Art Schools
When applying to art programs, some colleges require additional supplements to your application, like a portfolio or an audition. Students may select one of the following sessions to attend:
Auditioning: Calling all Performance Artists! Are you curious about the college audition process? Having trouble selecting a monologue? Have no idea what to wear? This workshop, led by local actor, dancer, and teaching artist Cameron-Mitchell Ware, will prepare you for your big collect audition!
Portfolio Building: Some arts colleges require that you submit a portfolio of your work for admissions. This workshop will walk you through college submission criteria and guidelines, choosing which pieces to include in your portfolio, and how to put it all together!
Session 4: Individual College Guidance Sessions
Sign up for a 30-minute, individual College Guidance Session for more in-depth assistance and feedback.